Monday, August 28, 2017

What financial difficulties have taught me

I'll be honest - the past few weeks have been very frustrating!  Between taking a trip to make contacts for ministry purposes, an unexpected litter of kittens, and  one of the courses that I counted on being reassigned, things have been tight.  And it's stressful.

But what does the Word say?

And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19  

What I know for sure is this:

God takes His Word seriously.  
God keeps His promises.  
God will take care of me.

What I've been thinking about 

Last night, I wrote in my journal: "Dear Lord, Thank-you in advance for the ways that You will take care of me.  Thank-you that You will meet my needs.  Amen."

We can look at difficult circumstances two ways: "Why is this happening to me?" or "What can I learn from this?"  The choice to take the higher ground, so to speak, is dificult and requires maturity - which I don't always have.  It requires humility and a willingness to be teachable.  However, in the end, it is much more rewarding.

What does God want to teach me?  What have I been learning?  

* Self Control and Self Denial

The fact that there aren't funds available for extra things means a lot of self control and self denial.  Self control means foregoing a pair of shoes that I like because I have to pay my utility bill.  Self denial means saying, "No" when I'm tempted to purchase something I want.  It's stressful, but I know it's building character.  

And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.  Romans 5:3-5

* What is my response to frustration?

What happens when things don't go my way?  Do I become angry or despondant?  Do I allow my heart to soften?  

I want to respond to difficult circumstances in a way that honors God.

* The importance of following through

Inviting people to join my ministry team is a daunting task, especially since I'm such an introvert!  Reaching out is hard because there's the risk of hearing, "No."  However, there's also the chance that I will hear, "We want to know more!"  

I need the Body of Christ!  Ministry isn't something I can do on my own, and I don't want to do it on my own!  

* Empathy

I am learning empathy for those who are struggling, too.  

Thank-you, Lord!   

Sweet Libby and Cassie





No comments: