Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Should white people apologize to Native Americans?

Should white people apologize to Native Americans for what historical events?

I have been thinking about this question after 4 1/2 years of working with Native Americans. I've read historical account and seen films like "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee." There is evidence, studies, and historical accounts that show the negative impacts of government assimilation policy, boarding schools, broken treaties, and cultural genocide. Those are historical facts and the consequences to those events are long lasting. They are seeing in the poverty on Indian reservations, alcoholism, reliance on welfare, low self esteem, loss of language and culture, suicide rates, loss of sacred land, and loss of cultural foundations. The consequences for those events will continue. I think that all Americans should mourning the loss of the rich cultural, linguistic, and spiritual heritage. I mourn the awful things that happened because it hurts God's heart when people are mistreated.

Should white people apologize for the actions of the government? I think the responsibility of citizens, in a general sense, to stand up for those who need help and to stand up for justice. There is no shortage of pain in the world. All you have to do is look at your front door in order to see it. What is our responsibility to our fellow human beings? That is something you have to wrestle with in your own heart.

I've seen white people, when introduced to my Native friends, say "I'm sorry my people took your land." or "One of their ancestors was Indian." Why do they feel compelled to apologize straight away when meeting a Native individual? Why do we bring a load of "white guilt" to the table?

I have wrestled with this question in my own heart and the conclusion that I've come to is that in ministry, or any kind of humanitarian work, you cannot be motivated by pity. I cannot be motivated out of my own guilt. That is selfishness and it is based on making myself feel better.

As a Christian I should be motivated out of love. I should be motivated to help people because I love the Lord and that is what He has called me to do. I cannot look at my coworkers, friends, and neighbors and feel sorry for them. I have to look at my coworkers as people who are capable who deserve respect.


As an individual, what can I do? I can't change the past but I can change the future. I can either be part of the problem, by focusing on what's wrong, or I can be part of the solution and to help the Choctaws reach their language and education goals. I can offer  help when I am able, like giving friends a ride. I do this out of love.

Can you really serve somebody if you feel sorry for them? I see myself as a partner. I have skills and gifts that God has given me. I can use those in partnership with the Choctaw language program.  I found that I've been blessed by the honesty, humor, and energy of the people around me. I am secure in my heritage as a daughter of Christ and I understand where my own roots are. Because of that I can appreciate the identity of others and their perspective on the world. 

Leonard, my pastor, told me but he doesn't hold the stuff in the past against his white friends because he just wants to live his life each day he doesn't want to focus on the past. He said that's not what he wants from life. He wants to spend time with his grandchildren, enjoy meals with friends, and earn a living. He can't do that if he's busy blaming other people for stuff that happened.

Look at your own heart.  Focus on what you can do to show God's love to people around you instead of dwelling on the past. I'm not saying that those things are awful, or the thing never happened. I'm saying that those things can't be changed. Historical events should be learned from and so we can avoid making the same mistakes again

No comments: