Monday, June 22, 2015

Minimalism Ideal vs. Reality



I’ve been reading about minimalism, capsule wardrobes, and other experiments with the “less is more” philosophy. Like everything else I skip along and learn a lot along the way.  (Directions? Ha!)  


Minimalism ideal


There are some cool minimalist guides that recommend following some stunningly drastic minimalist measures like (1) donate or sell all your stuff, (2) limit your earthly belongs to what will fit in a shoebox, (3) light your house on fire. Even straightforward guides for sensible capsule wardrobes were giving me anxiety. 


I think that extreme minimalism is an ideal and I applaud the families who have achieved that level of freedom from materialism. Y’all are cool. I’m just not there yet. 


My relationship with stuff


I did some soul searching about my relationship with stuff. When I was in college I had boxes in my (then) boyfriend’s garage, some stuff in corners of my parents’ basement, in the trunk of the car, a pile of stuff for vacation and other stuff for my summer camp job. I felt …scattered.  A friend asked me, “What is it about your stuff that you’re so attached to?”  It wasn’t the “stuff” itself – a sewing machine from the 1970s, flannel sheets and a box of office supplies?  


What bothered me at that point, deep down, was the unsettling feeling of being constantly in transition. I felt like I was missing the security of a constant resident. Instead I felt like pieces of me were pushed into corners, left behind, and divided. Realizing that helped me to examine the deeper emotional sea change. 


Home Sweet Home


I’ve lived in my house since 2013. I love having a house because I can put a nail in the wall and be completely responsible for it. Sure there’s the matter of property tax, replacing that pesky roof, and the ugly kitchen fixtures. But I embrace that because I have one address and to me this is home.


Yeah, I have a house full of stuff. Generous friends and family gave me items for my house and I’ve purchased some things. The things in my kitchen came from my Mom. I have family treasures my Dad generously passed on to me. 


The goal I would like to achieve is a home full of things that are beautiful and useful. 

Project 333 prep


I came across the Project 333 and it just made sense. I plan to start the 33 piece wardrobe in July. You choose 33 clothing items and wear them for 3 months in different combinations. I'll discuss that in more detail in another post.

This is my plan for the next few days :


  1. Put a few items of clothing into storage bags or hang them in the guest room closet. Putting 3 blouses in another closet is a lot LESS scary than putting it all in a bag for GoodWill.
  2. Donate or discard clothes that don’t fit or look dumb. My sister is the long-suffering recipient of boxes of flotsam. 
  3. Sort through the piles of stuff I have around the house. Sort them into categories like “office supplies” and “craft stuff.” 
  4. List things I’m not using on Yerdle (If you want to sign-up click here)
  Clearer Thinking



Why am I embracing this chaos in the middle of dissertation writing?  Because having a clearer space around me is actually helping my thinking.  

By removing  extraneous stuff I hope to make my home a peaceful, welcoming place where I can focus on what's important.


Updates to follow! 

Cats are content with a cardboard box.

No comments: