Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bita Ikbi




The students recently completed diamond pattern headbands.

I've been working with Pam at Choctaw Central High School for about a month now. Each day is different. My activities include:
*assisting her with teaching
*helping the students complete projects
*grading, typing lesson plans
*creating worksheets
*brainstorming ideas.

After school Pam and I study language and culture together.
We are working with "Choctaw Language and Culture" by Marcia Haag and Henry Willis. It's published by University of Oklahoma Press so the alphabet used is the one used by the Oklahoma Choctaw. (I'll write about the different alphabet/orthographies in a later posting).

My task this week is creating a "how to" book on making a diamond pattern headband. I'm combining English and Choctaw vocabulary with photos and illustrations of each step.

We're also doing language learning & culture discussions about beading techniques. The students are creating beautiful beaded Christmas ornaments!

No comments: