Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sharing Stories: Workshop report


For the past 2 weeks I was working with the Department of Chahta Immi (Tribal language and culture department). The preparation work that I did including making a workshop manual and Power Points for the sessions.

From May 25-27 we had the workshop. I was the main presenter. The topics we covered included:

1. storytelling methods & techniques

2. storytelling demonstrations

3. recording methods & techniques

4. a recording demonstration

5. storytelling in the bigger picture of the Department of Chahta Immi and the archives.

Stories are powerful. They are a way to connect with others around us.

Next week we’ll do some follow-up recording activities. Something of note was the fact that the Choctaw staff members who did presentation sessions spoke in Choctaw!

On a personal level, I feel like I’ve learned more about presenting to a Choctaw audience. I got some feedback and was able to improve throughout.


No comments: